Monday, September 22, 2008

Green Letter Bible

When I was younger I thought that red and green went well together. I would often be found wearing a bright red, Bucky Badger T-shirt with forest green sweatpants (I didn't wear jeans for most of my childhood. I found them uncomfortable). I thought that since they were Christmas colors, they must go well together. Thankfully, my sister has slowly educated me so that I now dress pretty well, at least when I care. I save the red and green combination for the exegesis students.

But now, red and green come together again. Red letters and green...letters. HarperCollins is going to make a buck or two by publishing this eco-friendly version of the Bible (it even uses soy-based ink). Just as there is a long-standing tradition of red letter Bibles with the words of Jesus in red (an approach to reading the Bible that is problematic in itself), this Bible simply puts in green any verse that relates to nature.

I only wonder whether the whole part about this earth passing away will be printed in green.

1 comment:

Ransom said...

Yeah, that part about the various thirds of the earth getting destroyed?

I'm still waiting for the Calvinist's Bible with words about destiny in blue.