Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Jesus Does All Things Well

People can criticize John Piper's theology, but he lives his life above reproach. His preborn granddaughter died last Saturday. His comments on what it means to be a grandfather to Felicity are here. A criticism of Piper that was common among students is that, in his theology of suffering, he minimizes the role of mourning with those who mourn. No. He mourns with those who mourn, and graciously proclaims the only reason to hope amidst sorrow. And drowning in a sadness I can hardly imagine, Piper makes one of the most profound, clear, statements of the Gospel I have heard:

Come, there is somebody I want you to meet. His name is Jesus. He's the reason you're here. You don't need to be afraid. Your Savior has led you all the way. And Jesus does all things well.

Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

David Flinner said...

That part of Piper's message gave me goosebumps when I read it a week or two ago. Such a beautiful image.